Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Chapter One

I wont go into details as to how I ended up abandoning my persuit of a higher degree after three years of study. That would be a subject for a different blog. But I will mention that a few years after having my firstborn I began plotting and planning how and when I'd finish my degree. I waited until the mister finished his commitment with Uncle Sam serving as a linguist in the United States Army. I waited until the mister completed his bachelor of science degree in computer programming. I waited a year past my third child's birth befor I made the call to the nearest state university that would most easily accomodate my transfer credits in fiber arts.

"Hello, admissions office, how may I help you?"

"Yes, I'm wondering is there an expiration to college credits?"

"Yes there is, about ten years, unless you're currently matriculating."

"Ok, thanks."

Click.

Crap! I thought to myself. Some of my credits are ten years old, I'd better get back in there and quick!

Jumping to present day, I'm now in my third semester back in college, going part-time, hoping to achieve a bachelors of fine arts in fibers. The problem with transferring from a private university totally geared towards the arts, both visual and perfoming arts, is that sometimes the college forgoes certain classes that would be absolutely mandatory in a state university. For example, math, science with a lab, oh, and health and phys. ed.

This is where this blog begins. I decided this semester I was just going to get the painful health and phys. ed. requirement out of the way so it would no longer loom over my head. But there are other obstacles to overcome, namely, my kids' school schedule. I must fit courses into when they are in school, and I must be home by school's end. It makes it extremely difficult to find classes that fit into such a narrow time window. There was only one such course that fit amidst my other required courses, hence my decision to take Intro to Dance.

**disclaimer ** I'm going to make an apology to any dancers out there who might stumble upon this blog and feel as if I don't take their art seriously. I'm not trying to make fun of dance or the amount of hard work involved to become an amazing dancer. I'm actually an avid supporter of the arts, any art. This is merely my way of venting my feelings of insecurity and poking fun at my own lack of ability in this area, as well as poking fun at the system, the idiocy of making college students take gym as a requirement for graduation.**

No comments: